Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Epic Fail + Halloween Candy + 8-3 Workday


Sunday, September 23
Def shouldn’t have stayed up until almost 3 am doing that last blog entry. It’s just that once I start writing, I can’t stop sometimes, so I wasn’t really paying attention to the clock. Plus I had really enjoyed my day on Saturday and wanted to tell y’all (there’s my Southern side coming out) about it right away even though it was late when I started writing. In retrospect, if I was gonna do that, I should’ve gone ahead and made secure plans for church + getting to the TAPIF lunch while I had a great Internet connection in the wee hours of the morning and was very much awake and alert. TAPIF is the Teaching Assistant Program in France. There are about 1500 people here – or arriving very soon – to work as English teaching assistants all over the country at all levels on a minimum-wage basis.  I’m officially here through the Fulbright program, which provides additional financial/administrative support to 6 people, but we’re kind of grouped with the TAPIF folks as well. (There are also people here teaching all sorts of other languages, but I’ll get to that in Monday or Tuesday’s entry.) The lunch that I’m referring to was a casual event organized through Facebook for teaching assistants to meet each other at a falafel place. I had seen it advertised several times and had even RSVP’ed on FB a couple of days before but had never actually written down any pertinent information.
So, as you can probably guess, this day did NOT go as planned, but it was still “a day that the Lord had made,” and He reminded me that I needed to “be glad and rejoice in it” (I’ll admit – I had to look up this reference…Psalm 118:24). The plan was to get 5-5.5 hours of sleep – my absolute minimum requirement in order to function – then get on my computer and find a morning service to attend from the list of « Évangélique » churches in Paris that I had generated from a quick Google search just before calling it quits the night before. So I had put in a little bit of prep work, but not enough. Oh, and shout-out to Tori for making my search much simpler by giving me this “Evangelical” term as the type of church that I would be looking for. During that same morning Internet session, I had planned to get all the details on the TAPIF lunch and figure out the best route between the church and that restaurant and what I could do to kill time if needed. That was my ideal plan.
In real life, I hit snooze all the way until 12:45 pm because I was super tired. I told God that I was gonna have to find an evening service to attend cuz wasn’t no way I was making it to nobody’s 10 or 11 am service as I had imagined. (Does that ever happen to anyone else? Where you have all of these grand plans for the next day as you’re going to sleep and then somehow your need/desire to sleep outweighs them all the next morning? That’s the story of my life…) So I was just banking on the 2:00 pm lunch location being relatively close by and there being a good amount of trains running even though it was a Sunday. Tried to log onto the Internet in my room as I was getting dressed – no success. That wasn’t too surprising given the in-and-out nature of the signal on the upper floors of the building, so I went downstairs to the common room where I have typically found a very dependable signal. Nothing. As I restarted my computer to see if the problem was on my part, another girl in the room who was seated at a desktop computer asked if I had succeeded in getting online. That was when I knew I was in trouble. The restart didn’t achieve anything, and I was stuck.
I didn’t have an address, I didn’t have anyone’s phone number (or a phone with which to call them since I’m waiting to take advantage of a partnership between my new bank and a phone company once the account is validated), and I only had a vague recollection of part of the name of the restaurant where I was headed. Plus I was running late at this point. Ggggrrrreeeaaaattt. I did know that it was in a section of town called Le Marais and that was a one of those must-visit places that I would want to spend time in at some point anyway. So I decided to head there, and if I saw the restaurant, wonderful! If not, at least I could say I tried. (Of course, I could’ve paid to eat or drink something at « Odette and Aimé » – the restaurant near me with Internet or purchased online access at an Internet café to find out the addres, but this would’ve taken additional time that I did not have, and I was kind of ready to go at this point.)
I asked the attendant at the Cadet métro station for the best stop to access Le Marais before purchasing another youth day pass that is valid on weekends and holidays. She sent me south to the Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre stop where I changed from line 7 to line 1 and got off at St. Paul a little after 2 pm. There were tons of restaurants and shops everywhere, so I just walked around a bit in a couple of different directions. None of the streets really called out to me, like, “Hey, this is where you would find falafel!” I found a lot of traditional French eating places and a bunch of fancy boutiques for shopping. I think part of the problem was that I was on the outskirts of Le Marais when I got of the subway and could not just head in any direction and still be in the right neighborhood. (I didn’t go anywhere where there weren’t a lot of tourists, though, so don’t worry about that.) I did see one place with a name that reminded me of the restaurant I was supposed to be looking for, but it was a store.
At around 2:40, I passed by a museum and figured that I might as well go there…after I got something to eat. I saw a Senegalese restaurant nearby, which gave me hope that I might be getting close to some of the more ethnically-oriented eateries (and in fact, it turns out that I was only a few streets over from the TAPIF meeting place at this point) but it was only open for dinner. So I grabbed a sandwich at a French place and went to a park across the street where there were lots of families out and about for the afternoon. I love hearing French kids talk because I feel like I’m at their level of communication. I had to keep from laughing as I overheard some older elementary-aged kids having a very serious discussion about exactly what had happened in their soccer game and had resulted in one of the girls bursting into tears. A future lawyer/cop was interrogating those involved: “Did she touch the ball before you? I understand, but what happened exactly?” Don’t worry – I wasn’t too much of a creeper. During these park lunches that I’ve had, I’ve always had a book with me and/or been very occupied with my food and pretended not to be paying any attention to the other people when I was actually acutely aware of all of their conversations and interactions.
Afterwards, I went to the Musée Carnavalet, which is one of the more obscure museums that covers the history of the city of Paris. It was pretty busy, probably because of the free entry and the warmth that it offered from the somewhat chilly day. I was happy that the woman at the desk offered me a French booklet instead of an English one after I said “Bonjour,” but I was a bit overwhelmed when I opened it and learned that there were 100 rooms inside the museum! I browsed at my leisure and stopped at some of the signs just to practice reading French. They had various items, ranging from the metal hangings that predated street signs and indicated that “a baker works here” to the bedroom furniture of writer Marcel Proust. I also saw a couple of interesting depictions of Black folks from long ago, as would certainly be the case if I were to visit a museum of Atlanta’s history as well.
Speaking of Black folks, I’ve been meaning to tell you that I’ve seen a lot more White and non-White people together here than I do back home. And I don’t just mean like in romantic couples, though I do mean that. I am also referring to friends just hanging out. Yes, there are still people cliquing off into their ethnic groups, but I’ve noticed in my one week of being here that it seems to be a lot more normal for a little Black boy and little White boy to be walking down the street together than it would be in, say, Marietta or Roswell where I’m from. I think Dr. King would be proud of the table of brotherhood that many people are starting to sit around in Paris.


Bastille monument, taken from steps of nearby Opera
Speaking of preachers, I still wanted to go to church, so while I was at the park earlier, I had located some of the “Evangelical” churches on my map. I went by two of them after spending a little bit of time at the museum just to see if they had services in the early evening. The first was by the famous Bastille monument, and they were having some kind of men’s group meeting that I could see through the glass doors. They also had flyers and bulletin boards in the entryway that I could access. One of the men came out and gave me info about services and such and said that I should attend a youth group meeting on Friday nights and that there’s an American there. We’ll have to see because he said the youth meet “around 7:30 or 8 pm,” and I saw 2 people asking for money in the middle of the day nearby, so I don’t know what the area would be like that late at night. The other place was on the other side of the River in a more family-friendly neighborhood (parents out pushing strollers) near Les Gobelins métro stop. It had a sign on the door about Sunday morning service and a Thursday night Bible study, but again it starts kind of late at night – 8:45 pm! So I’ll keep shopping for weekly involvement.
St. Medard in the 5th arrondissement
Sorbet selections across the street
I ended up attending an evening mass at St. Médard Catholic Church down the street. (One good thing about the atlas I have is that most Catholic churches and a lot of other ones are marked on the maps.) I had a little time to kill, so I ate sorbet right across the street while waiting for service to start because I was starting to develop a little bit of a sore throat. Even though the Catholic style of worship isn’t really my style, I tried to grab hold of a little piece of spiritual inspiration since that was the only church I was going to get for the day. As I mentioned earlier, the Holy Spirit reminded me of my need to “rejoice” during the opening song that commanded Jerusalem to “dance for joy” before her King. Plus, as I reviewed the Scripture lesson (Mark 9:30-37) later that evening on my own, I was reminded of how central children were to the ministry of Jesus and that I shouldn’t view the duty that I’m about to undertake lightly: “Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me” (Mark 9:37).

Monday, September 24
Alas, my sore throat was a sign that I was coming down with a little bit of a cold, probably from the dramatic change in temperature. I have been dressing in layers, though, even when going to bed. I only regret not wearing boots when it was raining the other day. (But even writing to you from Tuesday’s perspective, I can tell you that it’s only a baby cold. Like, not a cold that an infant would have, but a non-aggressive cold. There’s my old pre-med self coming out!) So I slept in pretty late before taking a hot shower. By the way, I’ve learned that you can just press the button before each 10-second interval ends if you want to have a continuous flow of water instead of doing it military-style. This means that after living here for a while, I’m going to be trained to press a button every 8-9 seconds while showering, which might be a little odd, but whatever. So then I made scrambled eggs in the kitchen, which was actually my first time using the stove because I’ve been in the street so much and eating cereal, I guess. I had to crank it up a little higher than I imagined, but I figured it out, eventually. Ate those with cereal (Honey Pops from my variety pack) and OJ while listening to the radio (a custom in our kitchen) and flipping through a coffee table book about Québec City’s 400th anniversary. It was about noon when I finished and was washing dishes. A French hallmate whom I hadn’t met came in and started asking me basic questions about myself. I was caught off-guard and felt my French skills failing me a little, but she was happy to tell me that she had studied abroad in the U.S. at the University of Nebraska. I was like, “Awesome! Never been there.” But she admitted that I really didn’t have a reason to go anytime soon. Awkward for Nebraskans…
Spent a while in the common room on administrative emails that needed to be sent. Some of them took a long time because they were in French, and I like to double and triple-check them. Another new resident showed up to set up her Internet community access, and a staff member told her she should ask me if she had any questions. Turns out she’s also working as a foreign language teaching assistant, but for German instead of English since she’s from, well, Germany. Found out later that she’s on my hall when she came into the kitchen during the evening and asked if it was normal not to get Internet in our rooms, to which everyone smiled. Also got the proof of residency form from the office that I didn’t have when I was at the bank because I needed it to get my métro card. The staff member thought that he had given it to me on my first day, which is (I guess) why he hadn’t stopped me when I’d said I was going to open a bank account right after we worked on my rent reimbursement paperwork on Friday.
(Sidenote: Speaking of paperwork and such, I want to clarify that the girl who was pickpocketed at Montmartre on Saturday and talked about her « carte vitale » was referring to her health insurance info. I had a hunch that this was it, but I told you that I wasn’t 100% sure about what this meant. I gave you a bad impression of the word « vitale » when I off-handedly translated it as “vital”; I think it’s actually more literal than that, like having to do with your life (« vie »). Think about a doctor taking your vitals. Just wanted to clear that up in case any of my former French teachers read this…)
Made a stop at the insurance agency across the street to update them on my bank account situation since they had given me proof of insurance right away without my paying anything. They are going to wait until the middle of next month to deduct payment for September and October renter’s insurance, thankfully, so everything should be all good. I was kind of afraid they would come beating down my door if I didn’t show up soon and say anything, but the agent was just like, “Are you enjoying Paris? Have you found your way around?” So ha! There are friendly people here. I really wanted some hot tea at this point for my throat and, as Antwon Fisher says in the movie of the same name, I was also thinking “I can eat.” (I promise those emails took a long time; it had been a while since breakfast.) So I stopped at an Asian place near Square Montholon for something different.
The plan was to get a reloadable « passe Navigo » for the métro at the Poissonière station then head to one of the bedding stores on my list to look for comforters since I’ve been making do with blankets (1 from home, 1 provided here) thus far. Passed by a high school with students out front on my way and wondered what I’d gotten myself into. Ended up seeing another location of one of the bedding store chains on my list near St. Vincent’s Church before I could get on the subway. It looked a little fancy, but I went inside anyway. I had typed in the word “comforter” in a trustworthy online translator before heading out, so I told the clerk that I was looking for an « édredon ». He looked at me kind of funny and said “You mean, like, ‘quilt’?” In order to clear up the misunderstanding, he started pointing out different things around the boutique to see if we could figure out what I wanted. I was like, “I’m just trying to stay warm when it gets cold.” He said that people in France usually buy a « couette » and then an « housse de couette » which is like white padding/filling and then a removable, washable, decorative covering for that padding. He priced these two items together at over 200 euros. He didn’t have an « édredon » in the right size in his catalogue because he said they were not very common. Basically, the only ones they sold were to cover your feet. The only other suggestion he had was to buy a polar blanket for 49 euros, but even he admitted that that wasn’t a hardy enough solution for the winter. So I told him I would keep looking.
Inside St. Vincent-de-Paul in the 9th
There were too many wandering eyes in the park outside for me to gather my thoughts there, so I went inside of the neighboring church to figure out where to go next. It ended up being gorgeous inside – perhaps one of the most beautiful I’ve seen. When you looked at the altar, there was just gold everywhere. And the grand hallways down either side of the sanctuary areas were stunning as well. I tried to make a little video to show you a glimpse of what I was seeing, but it was really dark in there and my tiptoeing around to keep from disturbing the person who was praying ended up being really awkward. Hopefully there will be videos here in the near future.
My store!
From there, it was a short walk to Gare du Nord, where I planned to get my métro pass at the ticket window really fast and maybe make it to one of the other bedding stores before 6 pm. When I got to the huge station and made my way to the section that handles the subway rather than the trains, I waited in a line only to have the lady tell me that the office that handles the free distribution of passes for residents of Paris was closed. She sent me down the street to the Gare de l’Est (East Gate/Terminal) station, where the corresponding office didn’t close until 7 pm. Of course, when I got to that station, I had no idea where the office was, so I had to wait in the general métro ticket line again in order to figure out what was up. The guy sent me upstairs to a place where I had to buzz my way in then take a number and sit in a waiting area with about 10-12 other people where only one attendant was behind the desk. I got to that office at around 6:40 pm and definitely wasn’t helped until an hour later – well after the alleged closing time. But I have to give props to the clerk, who looked like he was ready to go home, but still made funny faces at this little girl to make her laugh and tried to include her in the process because she had been waiting with her mom for a long time. It’s people like that who make the world a better place. After showing my proof of residency and passport, I got my card complete with a plastic cover and my photo, so now I can load a week or a month’s worth of métro rides onto it at a better rate than single day tickets. Put one week on there to finish up September and grabbed a little bite to eat at a bakery before getting on the train to go like 2 stops to where I live. I had fully intended to make dinner in the kitchen after stopping at the store, but after sitting in that office for an hour, I was starvin’ like Marvin. Oh, and I saw “my store” on the way out of Gare de l’Est! When I was in France before, I kind of claimed Morgan de Toi, which is a clothing chain. (The expression means “crazy about you.”)
I did, however, stop in the kitchen when I arrived at the residence hall because I heard lots of voices there. Probably about 9 or 10 of us ended up in there after a while. I learned that there are actually 13 rooms on our wing, and now that we have another new resident, we are pretty close to being full. We had a fun little conversation, especially comparing the college entry process in our various countries of origin (U.S., Spain, China) and France. I guess that doesn’t sound very fun, but I promise that it was. Interesting, at least. Oh, did I mention that there was Halloween candy involved? Someone had purchased it in London over the weekend. Apparently they celebrate Halloween here a little bit, but “not like where [I’m] from” as one girl said. There’s a trick-or-treater “every 5 hours,” she claimed. Another girl tried to read the English descriptions of the types of candy included in the box and asked for a translation. It said something like “ooey-gooey, scary ball of chocolate with cherry filling.” She said she understood “chocolate” and “cherry” and I was like, “That’s all you need to know. Don’t even worry about the rest of it.” (Made you read until the end to find out about the Halloween candy, didn’t I?)

Tuesday, September 25
More sleeping in/resting because of my slight head cold, but at least I had a concrete event to look forward to: lunch at 1 with another teaching assistant from Spain who will be working in the same suburb but lives nearby in Paris. Actually, we had decided on FB to do lunch on our own to save money (I need to learn from her) and then just meet up afterwards at a park that’s near a métro stop that’s convenient for both of us. I ended up just doing the grab-an-apple deal from my pantry because sleeping was waaaay more important to me than eating. I also picked something up at a bakery on my way to our meeting point, which was in front of a McDonald’s near the Cadet stop. I got there about 15 minutes early because I don’t have a phone and it was crucial that I didn’t miss her. I happened to be standing by a map associated with the subway station, so a middle-aged woman who had been studying it for a while turned to me and asked in very polite French if I knew where a particular street was. I told her no, and she seemed very sad. But as I turned away something caught my eye. It was the name of the street that she had just uttered. It was literally a stone’s throw away from us, but behind her. I said, “Excuse me” and pointed out that fact to her, which made her day. She was like, “Oh! I didn’t see it!” That was a winning moment. A second later, someone else passed by and said something to me. I was like, What is this? I’m trying to be discreet! It was my insurance agent, as he identified himself. He was meeting a friend for lunch. (A lot of places here close in the middle of the day so that people can go eat at home etc.) He just said “Hello” then called his friend to see where he/she was and waved goodbye as he headed off. I was glad when I finally got to greet the person that I was actually there to meet!
We walked to the park about a block away. I was all bundled up even though it wasn’t too cold (around 60°) just because I didn’t want to get any more sick than I already am. We spoke in English, actually, which felt strange at first for me. We talked about things to do in France, life in Spain, life in the U.S. etc. She asked what my eating hours were because she is accustomed to eating lunch at 3 pm and dinner at 10 pm. I told her that my schedule was usually a little different, but that was because people’s work schedules are different in our countries. She said her favorite Spanish work schedule is from 8 am – 3 pm before going home for lunch and relaxation. I didn’t think that this sounded like a long enough workday at first, but she quickly pointed out that if Americans are working 8-5 with an hour off for lunch, then there’s only an hour’s difference per day. Other people work for a few hours, go home for a long lunch break, and then go back to work, which is the schedule that I’d heard of. She found it hard to imagine not eating lunch with her parents. I was like, “Yeah, that’s not really a ‘thing’ in America. Dinner, sure, but not lunch.” We had a similar sort of interaction when she asked how far NYC was from where I live, and I estimated that it would take 12 hours to drive there in a car. She said that when she’s watching movies about America and people say that they’re going from one city to another, she forgets that the U.S. is comparable to the size of the European Union. I had to remind her that trains aren’t really common where I live; it’s pretty much cars or planes. Again, these are the sorts of conversations that I find interesting.
That’s pretty much all she wrote for this day, folks. I mean, I ate again, I slept a lot more, and I shopped IKEA’s website for bed coverings. But I know you’re tired of reading this, and I don’t know how to put an exciting twist on it anymore. So I’ll just stop...riiiiiiiight…here :)
P.S. I’ll be posting this entry at around midnight, not 3 am. Go team.

No comments:

Post a Comment