Monday, November 12, 2012

Earning My Vacation


Okay, so I overestimated my capacity to get through these couple of pre-vacation days in order to tell you about my trip to Houlgate, but I really got into the descriptions of what happened in the classroom on Thursday, especially. I promise that what I’m looking at when typing these posts is usually a page of scribbled bullet points in my evening journal with nowhere near as many words as I end up including in the online accounts of these days. But as the memories of these moments return to my consciousness, I just have to paint you the complete picture sometimes. Besides, I’m here to be a teaching assistant, right? So I guess it makes sense that that’s what I like to focus on in my blog.
But there’s no getting around it: the next entry (Lord willing) will have to cover my first real trip outside of Paris since I’ve already taken you to the town at the end of this post. I apologize for not making good on my “promise” from yesterday, but I hope you’ll still read this post because it’s pretty good, if you ask me. But I might be a little biased. I don’t know…
Peace and love, Morgann :)

Thursday, October 25: “Mrs. degree” + “Rudderless economy” + Candy for the 1% + T_ _ _ _ S_ _ _ _ _

·         Today was marked by memorable conversations:
o   Spanish kitchenmate told me about how her boss always gives her more work than her peers as we ate breakfast
o   Mentor teacher, with whom I took the bus from the train station to the high school in Aulnay, shared her very indirect journey to becoming an English teacher
o   Some of my students and their friends begged me to speak French to them as we took the bus together from the school to the train station at the end of the day;
§  This was after they had been discussing (in French) wanting to go to college to get their “Mrs. degree,” essentially
§  I refused to speak French even though we weren’t at school, but I told them that I understood what they were saying and that many girls their age in the U.S. had the same sort of aspirations
§  One girl who is not in my classes wanted to try out her English, so she asked “Why do you live?”
§  Everyone burst into laughter because she meant, of course, “Where” and not “Why”
§  I told her that that was a pretty big difference…perhaps I should’ve answered the original question: “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20, King James Version).
o   While eating dinner, compared notes with a French kitchenmate who studied abroad in the northeastern U.S. on which sports are played in which seasons in the southeast at the high school level
§  Also laughed at the fact that she was surprised when she got in trouble for missing a practice as a track and field team member
§  Apparently they’re a little more lax over here about extra-curricular participation
·         In terms of my school day:
o   Another portion of a U.S. election article called “Down to the wire: Campaign enters stretch run” from CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/23/politics/campaign-stretch-run/index.html) with the BTS students, but some were not as cooperative as last week
§  One asked if this was a class on elections, which reminded me of my lead teacher’s warning to keep everything related to their International Trade course of study
§  Tried to emphasize that the skills they were using in quickly reading and developing an oral summary of a text with unfamiliar words and concepts in English would help them with a particular portion of their exam, which is true
§  Plus some of the students (mostly girls…sorry for the males reading this) were actually interested in understanding what they were reading
·         One girl asked about this sentence: “Romney's latest campaign theme -- that he is a firm and resolute leader with a clear plan to fix a rudderless economy -- infuriates Obama advisers, who scoff at the idea that someone who has veered wildly from message to message throughout his campaign is suddenly a more trustworthy option than the president” (p. 2).
·         I first had to draw a picture of a boat with a “rudder” (like I even know what that looks like…but they got the idea right away) to explain that analogy
·         I also had to act out a car “veering” off the road
·         After that, I explained what the sentence (in context) was saying about Gov. Romney’s camp and Pres. Obama’s camp so that they could put the whole picture together
·         I felt like I had nailed it when they explained this part of the article in detail on their own IN ENGLISH when it was their group’s turn to present their page to the class
Care of Mike Luckovich of the AJC on 10/19/12
o   Same Halloween outline as yesterday with the regular English classes, except that with the older students I added a couple of political cartoons from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that juxtaposed the holiday with the election since the teacher had asked me to talk about the election with them after the upcoming two-week vacation for All-Saints’ Day (that still blows my mind, btw)
§  They didn’t really get the punchline of the undecided voter cartoon on their own because they didn’t see “trick or treat” as a choice, just as voters had to choose between Gov. Romney and Pres. Obama
Care of Mike Luckovich of the AJC on 10/21/12
§  One male student (I’ll give my guys some credit) explained the implication behind the cartoon in which Gov. Romney is distributing candy to the 1% and ignoring the middle class very well, although none of them knew that this was an image of the White House
o   Decided to make things a little more fun for my history/geography class as we studied NYC this week since we’d focused on the earliest years of the settlement last week
§  Started by asking them to shout out whatever came to mind (IN ENGLISH) when they thought of New York City
·         Resulted in a list that covered the chalk board and ranged from tourist attractions to sports teams to clothing labels to 9/11
·         A handful of students had been to NYC before, by the way, but almost everyone had something to say whether they’d been or not
·         Favorite moment was when they couldn’t think of the name of a particular place even though they were describing it very well, so they asked me to give them the first letters of each word and tell them how many letters it contained
·         I wrote T_ _ _ _  S_ _ _ _ _  >>> They shouted “Times Square!!!”
·         By the way, this had also happened in another class when I asked for the Vice President’s name and someone had guessed “Joey” off the top of their head before they asked me to play this game (J _ _ B _ _ _ _)
§  Next we looked at another “matching” handout that I’d made with Manhattan icons and their descriptions, similar to the Halloween one, except that some of these images weren’t as evident if you didn’t know that Rockefeller Center had an ice skating rink in front of it, for example
§  After that, we looked on the other side of the handout where I’d put NYC in context with a map of the U.S., then the state of New York, then the 5 boroughs, then Manhattan, as well as a table indicating the populations/sizes of the different boroughs
·         Mostly wanted to do this because we’d read last week about NYC being an “island” so I wanted them to see this up close compared to the map of the entire U.S. that was in the classroom
·         Also wanted them to see that most of the stuff on their list of ideas about NYC was actually about only 1 of the 5 boroughs – Manhattan (with the exception of the students who named boroughs like Brooklyn when we made the list)
·         [Oh, and while I’m doing all this talking about Manhattan, let me just say that I’m praying for my brother Michael and sister-in-law Kristina as you deal with all of the crazy weather up there. A lot of people that I meet over here start inquiring about NYC with great concern when I mention that I’m an American.]
§  Finally, I had them go around the room in order to read the beginning of the Wikipedia article on New York City (1 sentence each) and corrected pronunciation errors at the end
§  Had to strike up a little convo connecting last week to this week in one of the two sections (I have 1/2 the class for one hour and then the other 1/2 for the second hour of their 2-hour class) b/c my planned activities didn’t last long enough, but they were cooperative
o   Felt like I was losing my voice at some points during this long day with 6 hours of teaching, but I thanked God for the creative energy that He gave me at just the right moments
·         After dinner at my residence hall:
o    Originally went online to check weather in Houlgate, Normandie (or Normandy in English) since I was heading there for the weekend for the American Church in Paris retreat
o   Ended up researching the Public Service Commissioner and State Senate (47th District based on my address in Athens-Clarke County) candidates since I was planning on mailing my ballot before leaving for school in the morning
o   Got very excited when I changed the batteries in my camera, which, as I mentioned briefly in yesterday’s entry, had fallen out of my unzipped (!) jacket pocket on Saturday evening onto a tile floor and appeared to be broken, and successfully took 2 photos of my (messy) room without the camera cutting off as it had done when I took the kitchen photo from the last post
o   Also read a little more about the small town of Houlgate on Wikipedia so that I would be ready for my trip…or, should I say, so that Houlgate would be ready for me ;)

Friday, October 26 – UOCAVA ballot + Troy Anthony Davis + “Worth it”

·         Even though I’m about 4300 miles away from Athens-Clarke County, I cast my votes for the 2012 Presidential election as well as several local races and a couple of constitutional amendments
You're more than welcome to ruin your eyes figuring out for whom I voted
o   Had to sign an oath stating that I was truly eligible to use a “UOCAVA” (Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act )ballot, that I was of age, that I wasn’t voting in any other way for this election, and that I really was a registered voter in this district prior to being overseas
o   Bit the bullet to mail the ballot in an expedited fashion (2-4 days) since I’d put it off for so long thinking that I would be able to return it electronically since they had sent it to me electronically
o   Stopped by Office Depot (yes, this chain exists here and has a store right around the corner from me) first since they have a partnership with UPS here, but they actually sent me to the regular post office b/c they said it would be cheaper to mail a document rather than a package that way, which it was by a few euros
o   The trip to Office Depot was not in vain, though, because I discovered a new hair salon that I ended up going to on Halloween and that will hopefully save me some money!
o   Also, I needed to go to the post office anyway to retrieve the care package that my family had sent me, complete with individual cups of American cereal (my favorite food group) and 5 Cobalt gum (my favorite flavor)
·         Did some quick packing of my stuff for the weekend as well as a meal to eat while traveling from the school after classes ended at 5:00 pm to the American Church to meet the bus at 7:00 pm since I wouldn’t have time to go home
·          At school:
o   Just enough time to create lesson materials for my last class on death penalty (in accordance with theme given to me by lead teacher) incl. Troy Anthony Davis case from Georgia & make photocopies before my classes started at 2:55 pm
o   Had to lug my duffel bag from class to class since there was really nowhere else for me to store it during the afternoon, but it wasn’t that bad
o   1st class: oh wait, this class was cancelled! This was a major Muslim holiday, and the teacher had told me in advance that a lot of students would be missing. So I guess she decided to skip out to get a head-start on her 2-week vacation…
o   2nd class: had to split up 3 chatty groups of students (I think thoughts of vacation were in the air) so by the end of class they were not very engaged after a very enthusiastic start with the shouting out of Halloween terms in English for our list, which involved another guessing game with “pumpkin” because they didn’t know the last letter
o   3rd class:
§  So few students present due to Muslim holiday that it wasn’t worth splitting in half so I actually ended up taking all of them (per their request!) while the lead teacher just sat in her classroom doing work
§  She had asked me to do a debate, but since I’d done that last week with gun rights, I kind of minimized that portion of the class
§  Started by having them read aloud (sentence-by-sentence) part of the article about the case of Troy Davis from Wikipedia to see a real-life death penalty story that happened recently in my state and gained a lot of media attention
§  They didn’t have a whole lot to say, so I moved on to the modified debate activity in which they worked in small groups to argue for or against the death penalty with a moderator (per the lead teacher’s instruction, although none of us really understood what the moderator was supposed to do), partly using the general information on the death penalty that I’d given them from Wikipedia
§  (By the way, I’m using Wikipedia because it’s usually at a reading level that I think is appropriate for my students and because it often provides the broad overview that I’m looking for; I always read through it first to make sure it’s not crazy and tell my students that it’s a Wikipedia article)
§  At the end, I let them have a treat for 2 minutes as we looked at the Halloween handout I’d given to the younger students, which they really enjoyed…I mean, studying the death penalty right before vacation? That’s just wrong. So I told them it was our little secret, which they really liked ;) Hope that teacher doesn’t come across this blog…
·         Rather than waiting for a later bus that would be less crowded with high school students in order to go to the train station, I squeezed onto the first one that came after 5 pm and, thus, caught an earlier train into Paris.
o   Walked in the freezing cold with my duffel bag from the Invalides stop on the RER C line that I’d transferred to at the St Michel – Notre Dame stop to the American Church, where I arrived at around 6:25 pm.
o   Ended up talking to 2 girls my age from South and North Carolina, the former of whom I’d already met at movie night, as we waited for the bus to leave…late
o   Stopped maybe halfway at one of those “nice” service stations with lots of food and many restrooms on the way, so we didn’t arrive in Houlgate until 11 pm, where they had snacks waiting for us at the retreat facility
o   Thought about going to bed, but stayed up to talk to two other girls in my room from California and Baltimore who are studying abroad in Paris (the South/North Carolina girls were also in my room)
o   In my journal entry that evening, I reflected on the fact that I was in a summer camp-style room with 5 other young, Christian women from the States who are either working or studying in Paris, and, when I put that in comparison with the (very reasonable) price I’d paid for the trip or the trouble I’d gone through to get on the bus straight from work, for example, I had this to say: “Worth it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment